where and how to store calculated data?

From: Rounak Jain <rounakjainis(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: where and how to store calculated data?
Date: 2017-07-05 11:20:40
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am creating a python CLI app with psql for invoicing.

For sale_invoice_detail table, I have created columns, rate_after_discount
and amount_after_discount. I do the appropriate calculations in my python
code to set/update values in these columns when rate, qty, discount etc are
set/modified.

Now, I shall need the sum of the sub-totals (amount_after_discount of the
above table). Should I save this amount in the sale_invoice table and
ensure that the value gets updated when there is any related change in the
sale_invoice_detail table or is there a better way?