Re: uninstalling PGadmin3

From: Gabriel Sánchez <gabrielesanchez(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Katz <robertekatz(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: uninstalling PGadmin3
Date: 2016-01-25 01:05:45
Lists: pgadmin-support

The enterprise db bundle installs pgAdmin in addition to the PostgreSQL
server itself. Although you may have uninstalled the client pgAdmin, the
database server is still running and listening for connections on port
5432. You want to uninstall PostgreSQL before installing the newer bundle.

If this doesn't make sense, think of pgAdmin as a web browser like Chrome
or Firefox. Web browsers allows you to view web pages served by web
servers, and pgAdmin allows you to view database data from a database
server. What actually serves a web page is a web server. What actually
serves database data is a database server. The bundle you installed
includes both client (browser) and server. If you know you don't need the
server, you can safely uninstall it. The pgAdmin client is separate
software, and it will continue to run just fine.