pg_rewind copy so much data

From: Hung Phan <hungphan227(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_rewind copy so much data
Date: 2017-09-13 03:41:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I have tested pg_rewind (ver 9.5) with the following scenario:

- one master and one slave (total size of each server is more than 4GB)
- set wal_log_hint=on and restart both
- stop master, promote slave
- start old master again (now two servers have diverged)
- stop old master, run pg_rewind with progress option

The pg_rewind ran successfully but I saw it copied more than 4GB (4265891
kB copied). So I wonder there was very minor difference between two servesr
but why did pg_rewind copy almost all data of new master?

Regards,

Hung Phan