Re: many animals are running old clients

From: Sandeep Thakkar <sandeep(dot)thakkar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, buildfarm-members(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: many animals are running old clients
Date: 2018-08-20 10:32:17
Lists: buildfarm-members

Hi Tom,

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 3:21 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > The majority of buildfarm animals are not on the latest client code
> > release. Version 8 was released more than 3 months ago. There are 26
> > animals on release 7 and 43 on even older releases, in one case on a
> > release going back 4 years. See below for the lists of delinquents.
>
> There's also a depressingly large number of animals that still aren't
> building the REL_11_STABLE branch. Some also have odd gaps in their
> back-branch coverage. If you don't use run_branches.pl to automate
> branch selection, please also take the time to check that you are
> building the right set of branches.
>
> All my animals use run_branches.pl except 'clam', which is a PPC64LE
machine. and when we setup this animal we found 9.3 was failing with
"error: cannot guess build type; you must specify one". This was discussed
in the thread with sub: "Include ppc64le build type for back branches".
Therefore, I explicitly run run_build.pl for all branches (I added for
REL_11_STABLE as it was missing). Once we disable 9.3 runs, I'll move to
using run_branhces.pl on 'clam' as well.

--
Sandeep Thakkar