Re: Logical replication CPU-bound with TRUNCATE/DROP/CREATE many tables

From: Keisuke Kuroda <keisuke(dot)kuroda(dot)3862(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Logical replication CPU-bound with TRUNCATE/DROP/CREATE many tables
Date: 2020-09-30 05:39:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Amit,

> I don't have a patch for this idea but you can refer [1]
> (v25-0002-Issue-individual-invalidations-with-wal_level-lo) to see
> what I was trying to say about registering the invalidations in the
> form of ReorderBufferChange. We have something along the lines of what
> I described above in that patch but we have removed it because we need
> all the invalidations to be accumulated to handle aborts and we don't
> want two different mechanisms to store invalidations.

Thanks, I read the patch
(v25-0002-Issue-individual-invalidations-with-wal_level-lo)
and the review.

I understand the following.
* In v25-0002, there were two different mechanisms,
XLOG_XACT_INVALIDATIONS (ReorderBufferAddInvalidation) and
XLOG_INVALIDATIONS (ReorderBufferAddInvalidations).
* After a review, XLOG_XACT_INVALIDATIONS was implemented to
generate all invalidation messages.

I'm going to write a patch that looks like the following.
* Add the process of collecting invalidation to
XLOG_XACT_INVALIDATIONS in the form of ReorderBufferChange.
* Invalidation is executed in case
REORDER_BUFFER_CHANGE_INVALIDATION.

Best Regards,
--