creating a circular replication in postgres

From: Jayesh Nambiar <jayesh1017(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: creating a circular replication in postgres
Date: 2013-07-05 06:59:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello All,
I am very new to postgres and this is my first post to the community, so
please forgive my ignorance if any.
I am trying to achieve a circular replication with postgres; meaning two
postgres servers are slaves of each other. This is a requirement for our
setup. I tried googling through the topic and got very confused about this
topic and I am still not able to decide if this is even possible with
postgres. As many say it is not recommended in postgres or replication
cycles should be avoided.
I went through Bucardo which uses perl scripts to achieve this, but I am
looking at something more native if available.
I downloaded and installed postgres9.3beta2 version and could successfully
do a cascaded streaming replication following this tutorial:
http://bartek.im/blog/2012/12/04/postgresql-92-streaming-primer.html

But I am unable to make it setup in a circular replication method. I also
went through BDR (Bi-directional replication) using libpq which looks like
a recommended way of doing this, but that looks like very new and still in
some experimental stage.

I need some expert advice on if this is possible with postgres and should I
go ahead with researching on how efficiently to do this !!

Thanks,

--- Jayesh