Use read streams in pg_visibility

From: Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Use read streams in pg_visibility
Date: 2024-08-13 12:22:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I am working on using the read stream in pg_visibility. There are two
places to use it:

1- collect_visibility_data()

This one is straightforward. I created a read stream object if
'include_pd' is true because read I/O is done when 'include_pd' is
true. There is ~4% timing improvement with this change. I started the
server with the default settings and created a 6 GB table. Then run
100 times pg_visibility() by clearing the OS cache between each run.
----------

2- collect_corrupt_items()

This one is more complicated. The read stream callback function loops
until it finds a suitable block to read. So, if the callback returns
an InvalidBlockNumber; it means that the stream processed all possible
blocks and the stream should be finished. There is ~3% timing
improvement with this change. I started the server with the default
settings and created a 6 GB table. Then run 100 times
pg_check_visible() by clearing the OS cache between each run.

The downside of this approach is there are too many "vmbuffer is valid
but BufferGetBlockNumber(*vmbuffer) is not equal to mapBlock, so
vmbuffer needs to be read again" cases in the read stream version (700
vs 20 for the 6 GB table). This is caused by the callback function of
the read stream reading a new vmbuf while getting next block numbers.
So, vmbuf is wrong when we are checking visibility map bits that might
have changed while we were acquiring the page lock.

Both patches are attached.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

--
Regards,
Nazir Bilal Yavuz

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-Use-read-stream-in-pg_visibility-in-collect_visib.patch text/x-patch 3.4 KB
v1-0002-Use-read-stream-in-pg_visibility-in-collect_corru.patch text/x-patch 5.0 KB