Re: Is it safe to rename an index through pg_class update?

From: Kouber Saparev <kouber(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is it safe to rename an index through pg_class update?
Date: 2020-02-27 16:08:17
Lists: pgsql-general

На чт, 27.02.2020 г. в 17:52 Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> написа:

> There's a lot of stuff like that that you can probably get away with...
> but I'm not sure it's prudent to try it on valuable production data.
> If it breaks your database nobody is going to have any sympathy for you.
>
> FWIW, I can't immediately think of a reason this would cause a problem,
> at least not on 9.4 and up which use MVCC catalog scans. If you're
> really still on 9.3 then it's notably more risky. In any case, I've
> not had any caffeine yet today, so this doesn't count for much.

Ah, 9.3 is not using MVCC for system catalogs?... Ouch. Then most probably
it is really not a good idea. That said, I am not modifying table names,
only index names... and I guess the internals, the planner etc. are not
working with names, but with oids instead?

Thanks and caffeine regards,
--
Kouber Saparev