Re: Rough estimate of number of downloads per year/month/day?

From: Selena Deckelmann <selena(at)chesnok(dot)com>
To: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)sheeky(dot)biz>
Cc: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rough estimate of number of downloads per year/month/day?
Date: 2012-11-01 22:05:08
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 1:18 AM, Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)sheeky(dot)biz> wrote:

> It will be hard to measure but I think you will find that mysql has a
> similar effect to windows oem - some apps fail to provide an option to
> switch off mysql support so you get forced to install mysql even when
> you don't want to use it. This is the only reason that I have mysql
> installed on my machine - programs won't build without it. But that
> doesn't mean I have ever bothered to get mysql server running.
> (Well not for about 6 years now)

Clearly, we need to get more applications to require postgres installs. ;)

Honestly, i think it just shows how useless the raw number is.

Far more interesting would be change over time. "The trend is XX%
increase/decrease over X years."

So, a great project for someone: start collecting these stats in a way that
can be reproduced by others and publish the data.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com