Re: Ora2pg Delta Migration: Oracle to PostgreSQL

From: Avinash Vallarapu <avinash(dot)vallarapu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Muhammad Ikram <mmikram(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Sharma <amitpgsql(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Ora2pg Delta Migration: Oracle to PostgreSQL
Date: 2024-05-03 09:38:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Has anyone tried delta/incremental data migration for Oracle to PostgreSQL
> using Ora2pg? Or what are the best options to run delta migration for
> Oracle to PostgreSQL?

There are a few ways of dealing with it when using Ora2Pg.

*Option 1 : *Ora2Pg configuration file allows us to pass the
conditions(predicates) to be applied to a table while migrating the data
from a table. So, if there is a way to filter the data since the last full
load, you can pass the condition to the configuration file, for each table.
This is some work for sure but it works great if you are able to identify
those conditions such as creation_date or last_updated_date, let's say.

*Option2 :* Ora2Pg is currently CDC ready. What this means is that, Ora2Pg
can provide the SCN at which the table copy has been initiated.
Technically, we provide the SCN to the CDC tools or custom CDC techniques
to continue replication since that SCN.

*Option 2.1 :* Leverage Debezium, an Open Source solution to perform
continuous replication from Oracle to PostgreSQL from the SCN produced by
Ora2Pg for that table.

So, it is all about Ora2Pg + Debezium

It might be initially challenging, but you will get there.

Regards,
Avi Vallarapu,
CEO,
HexaCluster Corp.