How to encrypt database password in pgpass or unix file to run batch jobs through shell script

From: aditya desai <admad123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to encrypt database password in pgpass or unix file to run batch jobs through shell script
Date: 2020-09-25 09:34:56
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,
We have Amazon RDS Postgres. Currently we are using .pgpass file and
running psql from different EC2 instances to connect to DB. But the
password in this file is not encrypted. What are our options to encrypt the
password? Or do passwordless connection from EC2 to database? Lambda
functions have limitations of running only for 15 minutes.

How can we setup different authentication methods for AWS RDS Postgres as
we don't have access pg_hba.conf?

Regards,
Aditya.