Re: RFC: Pluggable TOAST

From: Nikita Malakhov <hukutoc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: Pluggable TOAST
Date: 2023-11-14 13:12:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

Matthias, regarding your message above, I have a question to ask.
On typed TOAST implementations - we thought that TOAST method used
for storing data could depend not only on data type, but on the flow or
workload,
like out bytea appendable toaster which is much (hundreds of times) faster
on
update compared to regular procedure. That was one of ideas behind the
Pluggable TOAST - we can choose the most suitable TOAST implementation
available.

If we have a single TOAST entry point for data type - then we should have
some means to control it or choose a TOAST method suitable to our needs.
Or should not?

--
Regards,
Nikita Malakhov