Re: Q&A at Postgres Women talk at pgconf.eu

From: Katherine Mcmillan <kmcmi046(at)uottawa(dot)ca>
To: Valeria Kaplan <vk(at)dataegret(dot)com>, pgsql-women(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Q&A at Postgres Women talk at pgconf.eu
Date: 2019-10-20 14:25:42
Lists: pgsql-women

Hi all,

As you may not be aware, we had run out of time on that talk, and because
the speakers were over at the side addressing this man's question, they
were unable to see that the time had run out. The talk was 3 minutes
over-time, and the question/answer period had to be cut off. As a group,
we were respectful of everyone asking questions, including this person. In
fact, we let him go on several minutes over time, and because his
"question" went on so long, it prevented another attendee at the talk from
asking her question, despite her having her hand raised for several minutes.

I do not agree that Renee, nor anyone else, was dismissive of the question
or handled it poorly. In fact, Renee and the speakers chatted with the
asker for as long as possible after the talk as well. I felt they did a
good job in the time that was left to address the question, which, in my
opinion, came across as someone just pulling
anti-feminist/anti-inclusion/anti-affirmative action rhetoric from the
1950s. He did not quote any statistics, references, or evidence in his
"question", yet the talk contained qualitative, quantitative, and anecdotal
evidence on the issue.

Congratulations to all the speakers on your composure; I personally felt
you did great and it was a pleasure to host your talk.

Sincerely,
Katie