Re: New and unified 9.5 spec file is in git

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-pkg-yum <pgsql-pkg-yum(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New and unified 9.5 spec file is in git
Date: 2016-01-21 01:15:33
Lists: pgsql-pkg-yum

On 21 January 2016 at 04:18, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org> wrote:

> > This is the main patch of interest:
> >
> > https://github.com/2ndQuadrant/pgdg-pgrpms/commit/60524156129b27b9cf3
> > 836621a0d05afb658d60e
>
> Oh, why do we need -devel packages for postgresql95-devel package?

So that when you install the postgresql95-devel package it's reliably
usable.

If we don't depend on gettext-devel etc, then where PostgreSQL uses those
headers in its own headers you'll get errors at compile time unless they
happen to be installed because of the requirements of other unrelated
packages.