Re: Adding node to bdr group

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Cj B <blackc2004(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding node to bdr group
Date: 2016-01-18 00:46:23
Lists: pgsql-general

> Can I just do a bdr.bdr_group_join
<http://bdr-project.org/docs/stable/functions-node-mgmt.html#FUNCTION-BDR-GROUP-JOIN>?
Just want to confirm what the best practice is as I haven't seen anything
in the documentation about this.

Yes, you can just do a bdr.bdr_group_join (
http://bdr-project.org/docs/stable/functions-node-mgmt.html) on the new
node, specifying the dsn of either existing node, just like you did when
creating the first node.

Alternately, you can use bdr_init_copy (
http://bdr-project.org/docs/stable/command-bdr-init-copy.html) to do a
clone of the whole database installation and bring it up as a new peer.
Note that this will copy other non-BDR databases too, since it does a
pg_basebackup and pg_basebackup doesn't have any facility for
including/excluding individual databases. This can be a better option for a
big database.

In either case if the new node join fails for any reason you must make sure
to manually remove the replication slots created on either/both existing
nodes to prevent WAL from accumulating until they run out of disk space.