Using enum instead of join tables

From: hmidi slim <hmidi(dot)slim2(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Using enum instead of join tables
Date: 2018-04-10 10:24:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,
Is it a good thing to use enum type such a column in a table instead of
making a foreign key which references to another table?
I found these links talking about enum and when I will use them:
http://komlenic.com/244/8-reasons-why-mysqls-enum-data-type-is-evil/
https://www.percona.com/blog/2008/01/24/enum-fields-vs-varchar-vs-int-joined-table-what-is-faster/

Is there any advices or new updates to use enum type in order to decrease
the number of join between the table and optimize the performance and query
runtime?