Re: Question about access to db server

From: Mark Mayo <djmornyc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Cliff Pratt <enkiduonthenet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question about access to db server
Date: 2012-12-09 00:19:37
Lists: pgsql-admin

Good Evening,

Before tuning the hardware settings I usually execute an EXPLAIN to see the
execution path Postgres uses. A good start to understanding the EXPLAIN
functionality is here http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Using_EXPLAIN .
Since you're using pgAdmin this is a better tutorial
http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/index.php?/archives/27-Reading-PgAdmin-Graphical-Explain-Plans.html.
Sometimes using an join instead of a subselect or indexing greatly
improves a query even before trying to optimize the default postgres
settings.

Thanks
-Mark