Re: Report checkpoint progress with pg_stat_progress_checkpoint (was: Report checkpoint progress in server logs)

From: Nitin Jadhav <nitinjadhavpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Report checkpoint progress with pg_stat_progress_checkpoint (was: Report checkpoint progress in server logs)
Date: 2024-10-07 08:36:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

It’s been a long gap in the activity of this thread, and I apologize
for the delay. However, I have now returned and reviewed the other
threads [1],[2] that have made changes in this area. I would like to
share a summary of the discussion that took place among Robert,
Andres, Bharath, and Tom on this thread, to make it easier to move
forward.

Robert was dissatisfied with the approach used in the patch to report
progress for the checkpointer process, as he felt the current
mechanism is not suitable. He proposed allocating a dedicated chunk of
shared memory in CheckpointerShmemStruct. Bharath opposed this,
suggesting instead to use PgStat_CheckpointerStats. Andres somewhat
supported Robert’s idea but noted that using PgStat_CheckpointerStats
would allow for more code reuse.

The discussion then shifted towards the statistics handling for the
checkpointer process. Robert expressed dissatisfaction with the
current statistics handling mechanism. Andres explained the rationale
behind the existing setup and the improvements made in pg_stat_io. He
also mentioned the overhead of the changecount mechanism when updating
for every buffer write. However, for updates involving a single
parameter at a time, performance can be improved on platforms that
support atomic 64-bit writes (indicated by #ifdef
PG_HAVE_8BYTE_SINGLE_COPY_ATOMICITY). He also shared performance
metrics demonstrating good results with this approach. Tom agreed to
use this and restrict it to the specific case.

But I am not quite clear on the direction ahead. Let me summarise the
approaches based on the above discussion.

Approach-1: The approach used in the current patch which uses the
existing mechanism of progress reporting. The advantage of this
approach is that the machinery is already in place and ready to use.
However, it is not suitable for the checkpointer process because only
the checkpointer process runs the checkpoint, even if the command is
issued from a different backend. The current mechanism is designed for
any backend to report progress for any command it is running, and we
don’t know which command that will be at any given point in time, or
how many backends will be running any given command simultaneously.
Hence, this approach does not fit the checkpointer. Additionally,
there is complexity involved in mapping down to integers and back.

Approach-2: Allocate a dedicated chunk of shared memory in
CheckpointerShmemStruct with an appropriate name and size. This
approach eliminates the complexity involved in Approach-1 related to
mapping down to integers and back. However, it requires building the
necessary machinery to suit checkpointer progress reporting which
might be similar to the current progress reporting mechanism.

Approach-3: Using PgStat_CheckpointerStats to store the progress
information. Have we completely ruled out this approach?

Additionally all three approaches require improvements in the
changecount mechanism on platforms that support atomic 64-bit writes.

I’m inclined to favor Approach-2 because it provides a clearer method
for reporting progress for the checkpointer process, with the
additional work required to implement the necessary machinery.
However, I’m still uncertain about the best path forward. Please share
your thoughts.

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAOtHd0ApHna7_p6mvHoO%2BgLZdxjaQPRemg3_o0a4ytCPijLytQ%40mail.gmail.com#74ae447064932198495aa6d722fdc092
[2]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CALj2ACVxX2ii=66RypXRweZe2EsBRiPMj0aHfRfHUeXJcC7kHg@mail.gmail.com

Best Regards,