Re: Constantly increasing per connection memory usage on pg 9.2

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Eliott <eliott100(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Constantly increasing per connection memory usage on pg 9.2
Date: 2013-12-07 20:53:44
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 1:10 AM, Eliott <eliott100(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Dear Community,
>
> we've recently moved one of our production databases from a 8.3 based
> server to a 9.2 installation. Our usage patterns remained the same,
> however, we noticed that the swap space in the server started to decrease
> with time.
>
> We have roughly 16 connections to this database in an almost constant
> basis, pooled by a java connection pooler on the app side. This connections
> never expire (nor did they do with the 8.3 db).
> However, as you can see on this memory usage chart
> http://i.imgur.com/2sRRj1J.png it shows a rolleccoaster like pattern.
> When we restart our application, the connections are closed and the memory
> is freed.
>
> Our work_mem is 2MB, so it does not warrant the large memory allocation.
> Also I am completely sure that this is the pg connection process that's
> eating up the memory.

Is it the process on the client side or the server side that is using the
memory?

How many tables are in the database? Every additional table touched will
pull in some more metadata, so over the course of a long lived connection
in the pool, it could grow a lot if you have a lot of tables.

Cheers,

Jeff