Re: pg_basebackup

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Daulat Ram <Daulat(dot)Ram(at)exponential(dot)com>, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup
Date: 2019-12-29 16:43:05
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 4:13 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hello.
>
> At Mon, 23 Dec 2019 03:38:12 +0000, Daulat Ram <Daulat(dot)Ram(at)exponential(dot)com>
> wrote in
> > thanks Adrian, what about the
> > postmaster.opts file, this file was also skipped in backup.
>
> The file is overwritten at startup so there's no point in having it in
> a backup. Thus, it is deliberately excluded from a backup.

That is true and sensible, but it does seem to be contradicted by the
documentation for 9.5. In later versions, they added "except certain
temporary files managed by PostgreSQL". That addition seems to just be a
correction of the docs, not something to reflect a change in actual
behavior, at least in regards to postmaster.opts.

Cheers,

Jeff