Re: Problem of pg_wal filling up

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: soumik(dot)bhattacharjee(at)kpn(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem of pg_wal filling up
Date: 2020-01-31 21:24:59
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 11:20 AM <soumik(dot)bhattacharjee(at)kpn(dot)com> wrote:

> Dear Experts,
>

> Post the setup of streaming replication –MASTER and one SLAVE in
> PostgreSQL 12 , the pg_wal in both MASTER/SLAVE are - filling up.

Do you have any replication slots on the replica? When you created the
replica, you were supposed to exclude the directory pg_replslot. If you
didn't the replica might have "inherited" slots it should not have.

> My MASTER is in archive log mode and SLAVE in no archive log mode.
>

> *MASTER*
>

> postgres=# show archive_command;
>
> archive_command

> test ! -f /data/tablespaces/archivedir/%f && cp %p
> /data/tablespaces/archivedir/%f

Is this command succeeding? Do you see messages in the log file about it
failing? Are new files showing up in '/data/tablespaces/archivedir/'?

Does the master have any old replication slots which have been abandoned or
are falling behind? Check the view pg_replication_slots.

> Is it advisable to change default wal location (pg_wal)? Or any other
> options apart from using pg_archivecleanup?

pg_archivecleanup is for cleaning up the archive (which is apparently
'/data/tablespaces/archivedir/'). It is *not* for cleaning up pg_wal.

Cheers,

Jeff