Re: Adding new field to big table

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: acanada <acanada(at)cnio(dot)es>
Cc: postgres performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding new field to big table
Date: 2014-03-14 19:29:07
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 10:06 AM, acanada <acanada(at)cnio(dot)es> wrote:

> Hello Jeff,
>
> The lock time is not a problem. The problem is that takes too much time. I
> will need to add more fields to this table in the near future and I'd like
> to know if the process can be accelerated by any parameter, workaround or
> whatever...
>
> Thank you for your answer.

OK. Can you provide an explain (analyze, buffers), and the other
information described here:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Slow_Query_Questions

It may be faster to make a new table by selecting a join on the existing
tables and then replace the master table with it.

Also, if you are going to be doing a lot of bulk updates like this,
lowering the fillfactor to below 50% might be helpful.

Cheers,

Jeff