Re: Not storing MD5 hashed passwords

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Not storing MD5 hashed passwords
Date: 2015-10-15 03:09:17
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 5:49 PM, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 7:19 AM, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 1:41 PM, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> On 10/14/2015 1:31 PM, Quiroga, Damian wrote:
> >>

> >> Does postgres support other (stronger) hashing algorithms than MD5 to
> >> store the database passwords at disk?
> >>
> >> If not, is there any plan to move away from MD5?
> > There are proposals to do so, the most advanced one I know of is with
> SCRAM.
> > But I don't think any of them have turned into actual plans yet.
>
> I would not be so sure, I heard of a patch regarding that for 9.6:

Right, that is the proposal I was thinking of. I didn't think it had
enough community consensus yet on that specific design to promote it to a
"plan", though, rather than a proposal. I feel a bit guilty about not
having done more to review it, but it is a pretty intimidating thing to
review for someone not already an expert in the field.

Cheers,

Jeff