Re: Questions about "Output" in EXPLAIN ANALYZE VERBOSE

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jerry Brenner <jbrenner(at)guidewire(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Questions about "Output" in EXPLAIN ANALYZE VERBOSE
Date: 2024-01-02 19:15:52
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Jan 2, 2024 at 1:29 PM Jerry Brenner <jbrenner(at)guidewire(dot)com> wrote:

> We are currently on 13.9.

Why not just use the latest minor release, 13.13? For security reasons,
that is the only minor release of v13 you should be using anyway. I think
it is a bit much to hope that people will spend their time for free
researching obsolete minor releases.

> *Any node type accessing an index or table*
>
> - It looks like "Output" includes more than just the columns with
> predicates and/or being accessed or returned in other nodes.
>
> Not in my hands. For SELECTs it just lists the columns that are needed.
Your example is hard to follow because it appears to be just snippets of a
plan, with no example of the query to which it belongs.

Cheers,

Jeff