Re: Recommended value for pg_test_fsync

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nikhil Shetty <nikhil(dot)dba04(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Recommended value for pg_test_fsync
Date: 2020-06-30 16:21:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 5:27 AM Nikhil Shetty <nikhil(dot)dba04(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> We have a PostgreSQL 11.5.6 database running on VM.
> RAM - 48GB
> CPU - 6 cores
> Disk - SSD on SAN
>
> We wanted to check how the WAL disk is performing using pg_test_fsync.We
> ran a test and got around 870 ops/sec for opendatasync and fdatasync and
> just 430 ops/sec for fsync.We feel it is quite low as compared to what we
> get for local storage(2000 ops/sec for fsync).

It is not surprising to me that SAN would have higher latency than internal
storage. What kind of connection do you have between your server and your
SAN?

> What is the recommended value for fsync ops/sec for PosgreSQL WAL disks on
> SAN ?

You have the hardware you have. You can't change it the same way you can
change a config file entry, so I don't think that "recommended value"
really applies. Is the latency of sync requests a major bottleneck for
your workload? pg_test_fsync can tell you what the latency is, but can't
tell you how much you care.

Cheers,

Jeff