Re: Speeding up JSON + TSQUERY + GIN

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Sven R(dot) Kunze" <srkunze(at)mail(dot)de>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Speeding up JSON + TSQUERY + GIN
Date: 2017-02-28 16:49:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 12:27 AM, Sven R. Kunze <srkunze(at)mail(dot)de> wrote:

> On 27.02.2017 19:22, Jeff Janes wrote:
>
> If by 'permanently', you mean even when you intentionally break things,
> then no. You will always be able to intentionally break things. There is
> on-going discussion of an auto-prewarm feature. But that doesn't yet
> exist; and once it does, a super user will always be able to break it.
>
> Presumably you have a use-case in mind other than intentional sabotage of
> your caches by root. But, what is it? If you reboot the server
> frequently, maybe you can just throw 'select pg_prewarm...' into an init
> script?
>

> I didn't express myself well enough. pg_prewarm doesn't help to speed up
> those queries at all.

Oh. In my hands, it works very well. I get 70 seconds to do the {age: 20}
query from pure cold caches, versus 1.4 seconds from cold caches which was
followed by pg_prewarm('docs','prefetch').

How much RAM do you have? Maybe you don't have enough to hold the table in
RAM. What kind of IO system? And what OS?

Cheers,

Jeff