Re: SQL workflow for crash testing correctness

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Joseph Hammerman <jhammerman(at)squarespace(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL workflow for crash testing correctness
Date: 2019-09-18 18:38:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 9:27 PM Joseph Hammerman <jhammerman(at)squarespace(dot)com>
wrote:

> Good evening PGSQL admin email distribution list,
>
> I have built an HA cluster setup. I would like to instrument a workflow to
> test for lost or duplicated writes.
>
> Does anyone know of prior art that does this?

I have a testing framework which injects faults under high load, and then
tests to see that automatic recovery happens correctly. I have used it to
find several bugs, but haven't turned up any in the last couple releases
(likely because improved regression tests are now catching them before I
get a chance to). I've always just tested this as crash recovery within a
single instance, but I think there is no reason the technique couldn't be
used for multiple instances is well. You can search for my name and "
count.pl" on the hackers list to find multiple example of the testing
harness. The nature of the fault injected (torn page writes) is just a
function of what I was working on at the time I wrote it, most of the bugs
uncovered had nothing to do with the exact thing which caused the crash.

> Does anyone have thoughts on how to model this? My initial thoughts were
> to find the serialization tests in the Postgres project core.

Looking at the core regression tests may also be a good idea. Of course
then you would have to ponder, if you test the same way as they do, will
you find different bugs from what they find? So I would view it more as
inspiration than as instructions.

Cheers,

Jeff