Re: PostgreSQL Point In Time Recovery

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jayadevan M <maymala(dot)jayadevan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Point In Time Recovery
Date: 2013-10-24 16:47:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 9:10 PM, Jayadevan M <maymala(dot)jayadevan(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> Hi,
> I went through
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/continuous-archiving.html
> and set up the archiving process. With this approach, if my database
> crashes after a couple of weeks after the base backup is taken, recovering
> would mean replaying the WAL logs for about 2 weeks, right? To avoid that,
> what is the standard process followed - take a base backup every day or
> once a week?
> Regards,
> Jayadevan

I restore from my base backup plus WAL quite often. It is how I get a
fresh dev or test instance when I want one. (It is also how I have
confidence that everything is working well and that I know what I'm doing
should the time come to do a real restore). When that starts to take an
annoyingly long time, I run a new base backup. How often that is, can be
anywhere from days to months, depending on what's going on in the database.

Cheers,

Jeff