Re: How to get a more RSYNC compatible output of pg_dump?

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thorsten Schöning <tschoening(at)am-soft(dot)de>
Cc: Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to get a more RSYNC compatible output of pg_dump?
Date: 2022-05-19 03:46:37
Lists: pgsql-admin

> Though, with the large dumps it seems to me that with every slight
> change in the actual data the entire dump gets downloaded again. I'm
> already using uncompressed dumps in the hope that the output is more
> stable and RSYNC better able to recognize unchanged parts. But I guess
> that most changes in the dumped data simply result in all subsequent
> data being that misplaced compared to what RSYNC reads against, that
> it's like downloading the whole file again in the end.

For me the rsync differential algorithm on dump files just works with no
special preparations. I think you need to investigate this from the rsync
side, not PostgreSQL. For example, if you change a dump file just by
adding or deleting one character near the beginning, how does rsync respond
to that?

Cheers,

Jeff