Re: workaround for column cross-correlation

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: workaround for column cross-correlation
Date: 2017-06-13 03:46:57
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 8:17 PM, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> wrote:

> I know PG 10 will have support "CREATE STATISTICS.." for this..
>
> ..but I wondered if there's a recommended workaround in earlier versions ?

Not without seeing the query....

> 2) memory explosion in hash join (due to poor estimate?) caused OOM.

As far as I know, the only way a hash join should do this is if the join
includes a huge number of rows with exactly the same 32 bit hash codes.
Otherwise, it should spill to disk without causing OOM. Hash aggregates,
on the other hand, are a different matter.

Cheers,

Jeff