Re: [PERFORM] Why Postgres use a little memory on Windows.

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: tuanhoanganh <hatuan05(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Why Postgres use a little memory on Windows.
Date: 2016-02-21 02:21:38
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 8:46 AM, tuanhoanganh <hatuan05(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a bad query on PostgreSQL 9.0.23 - 64bit - Windows 2012 R2 - 48GB Ram

9.0 is no longer supported. You should work toward upgrading to a
newer version. It might not solve this problem, but it would give you
better tools for diagnosing the problem. Which is a pretty good step
toward solving it.

> When I check taskmanager, I found postgres process is user 4-5MB

Other people have explained the details of how the query is being run
and why it is being run that way. But I would like to take a step
back from that, and tell you that the reason that PostgreSQL is not
using more memory, is that it doesn't think that using more memory
would help.

Cheers,

Jeff