Re: WAL_DEBUG

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: ning chan <ninchan8328(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WAL_DEBUG
Date: 2013-03-06 23:12:40
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 2:38 PM, ning chan <ninchan8328(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> this is the error message i got:
> -bash-4.1$ pg_ctl start
> server starting
> -bash-4.1$ LOG: unrecognized configuration parameter "wal_debug" in file
> "/usr/local/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf" line 162
> FATAL: configuration file "/usr/local/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf"
> contains errors

This means the server wasn't compiled with WAL_DEBUG defined. You have to
do both things, first compile with WAL_DEBUG, and then set the wal_debug
guc to on.

One question: Do i need to uninstall first before I gmake install again?

I've never bothered to do that and it never gave me any problems (but I
wouldn't so on a running production system). You do need to run make
maintainer-clean before you redo the ./config and build and install, though.

> If so, any idean how to uninstall it?

If you originally installed from source yourself using the normal build
tools, uninstalling should need nothing more than removing the directory
that --prefix was originally set to. If you had built other things that
linked against the installation (DBD::Pg, for example) they will be broken
by this, but they should work again once you redo the install.

If you installed some other way, I don't know.

Cheers,

Jeff