Re: effective_io_concurrency on EBS/gp2

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Vitaliy Garnashevich <vgarnashevich(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: effective_io_concurrency on EBS/gp2
Date: 2018-01-31 21:00:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 4:03 AM, Vitaliy Garnashevich <
vgarnashevich(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> The results look really confusing to me in two ways. The first one is that
> I've seen recommendations to set effective_io_concurrency=256 (or more) on
> EBS.

I would not expect this to make much of a difference on a table which is
perfectly correlated with the index. You would have to create an accounts
table which is randomly ordered to have a meaningful benchmark of the eic
parameter.

I don't know why the default for eic is 1. It seems like that just turns
on the eic mechanism, without any hope of benefiting from it.

Cheers,

Jeff