Re: vacuumdb idle processes

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nikhil Shetty <nikhil(dot)dba04(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: vacuumdb idle processes
Date: 2021-06-15 20:20:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 8:43 AM Nikhil Shetty <nikhil(dot)dba04(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tested this scenario and it seems if vacuumdb is started with multiple
> jobs and one of the jobs doesn't complete due to a lock or whatever reason,
> other jobs will stay idle and don't release the connection until the stuck
> job is finished.
>
> For my understanding, why do we need this behaviour?

I don't think we **need** this behavior, it is just a simple way to wait
for each one to finish and then close it; waiting for each specific one in
the order it is present in the list. Is there an important reason we need
a more complex behavior, closing each one as soon as it becomes idle once
the work queue is empty?

Cheers,

Jeff