Re: Confused about max_standby_streaming_delay

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Inder <robert(at)interactive(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Confused about max_standby_streaming_delay
Date: 2017-09-07 16:08:21
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 1:16 AM, Robert Inder <robert(at)interactive(dot)co(dot)uk>
wrote:

> On 6 September 2017 at 20:47, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>

>>> Have I misunderstood something? Or is Postgres not actually configured
>>> the way I think it is?
>>>

>> The standby will wait for ten minutes to obtain the lock it wishes to
>> obtain. In 9.4, if something other than dump of database b was already
>> blocking it for 8 minutes before the dump starts, then the dump of database
>> b will only have 2 minutes, not 10, before it gets cancelled.
>>

> Hmmmm...
> You're saying that the time for dumping database b may be spent 8 minutes
> waiting on a lock then 2 minutes actually dumping.

No, I'm saying that maybe the replay process was already waiting for
something else for 8 minutes before the pg_dump of database b even
attempted to start. So it would be cancelled after 2 minutes.

Are these database a, database b, etc. different databases in the same
postgres instance (CREATE DATABASE A) or are they entirely different
postgres instances (initdb -D /opt/database_a)? Your original description
of different unix users with different installations made me think the 2nd
case is the one, but just want to make sure.

Cheers,

Jeff