Re: transaction wrap around

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: transaction wrap around
Date: 2017-12-05 04:43:15
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 5:52 PM, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com> wrote:

> On 12/4/2017 2:21 PM, chris kim wrote:
>

>> How would I investigate if my database is nearing a transaction wrap
>> around.
>>

> it would be screaming bloody murder in the log, for one.

Unfortunately, that comes far too late to repair the problem without a
substantial service interruption, on very high transaction throughput
installations.

Also, people usually consult the logs to figure out what the problem is,
once they become aware that one exists. That is also too late.

Cheers,

Jeff