Re: pgadmin4 2.0 and Scram

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Murtuza Zabuawala <murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgadmin4 2.0 and Scram
Date: 2017-10-07 06:46:43
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 10:18 PM, Murtuza Zabuawala <
murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 4:48 AM, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Since pgAdmin4 2.0 is targetting v10 of PostgreSQL, I thought it would
>> support scram authentication in addition to md5. In fact, I thought this
>> would happen automatically simply by virtue of using the latest libpq.dll,
>> without any coding changes to pgAdmin4 itself.
>>
>> But when I set myself a scram-hashed password (using psql) and then try
>> to connect with pgAdmin4, I get the message "authentication method 10 not
>> supported", which is the message you get from pre-v10 versions of libpq.
>>
>> Is this a known issue? Does the installer include the wrong libpq.dll?
>>
> pgAdmin4 uses psycopg2 <http://initd.org/psycopg/docs/> in order to
> communicate with Postgres and psycopg2 is lacking support for Scram at a
> moment, and I think developers are already working on adding support for
> PG10 (https://github.com/psycopg/psycopg2/pull/576)

That item is about changing the password through psycopg2, which does
require work from the client software (if you don't want to send the
password itself to the server). But I am just talking about using an
existing password to log on, which is purely a function of libpq and
shouldn't require any changes from the client. When I log in from python
scripts via psycopg2 or from perl with DBD::Pg, old versions of psycopg2 or
perl work fine with a SCRAM password as long as the latest libpq is loaded.

However, I've only tested python direct usage and perl from Linux, and only
tested pgAdmin from Windows. So it could be an OS issue. I've tried using
ListDLLs to see which dll pgAdmin is loading to make sure it is not finding
the wrong one, but it says it doesn't have permission to inspect the DLL
for that program, so I don't know what else to check from Windows.

Cheers,

Jeff