Re: query gets very slow when :jsonb ?& operator is used

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: davidjesse091(at)aol(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: query gets very slow when :jsonb ?& operator is used
Date: 2018-09-07 01:39:00
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 7:52 PM <davidjesse091(at)aol(dot)com> wrote:

> I have also asked this question on Stackoverflow and DBA stack exchange
> with no answer. It's a fairly long post, so I will post a link to it, as on
> Stackoverflow it is formatted nicely
>

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52212878/query-gets-very-slow-when-jsonb-operator-is-used
>
> Any idea why my query slows down so much when I add account.residence_details::jsonb
> ?& array['city', 'state', 'streetName'] ?

The planner has no insight into what fraction of rows will satisfy the ?&
condition, and falls back on the assumption that very few will. This is
(apparently) a very bad assumption, and causes it choose a bad plan.

Rewriting the `phone_number.account_id IN (subquery)` into an exists query
might help.

Cheers,

Jeff