Re: invalid record length at XX: wanted 24, got

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Mariel Cherkassky <mariel(dot)cherkassky(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: invalid record length at XX: wanted 24, got
Date: 2019-08-20 14:14:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 2:44 AM Mariel Cherkassky <
mariel(dot)cherkassky(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hey,
> I have 2 db nodes(9.6) configured with streaming replication (+repmgr).
> Suddenly ysterday my secondary stopped syncing and I saw the following
> error in the log :
> invalid record length at X/YYYYY: wanted 24, got

Did it really just end the message with "got"?

> My next idea is using pg_resetxlog in order to start the secondary
> successfully and then use pg_rewind to sync it again with the master. The
> master is working perfectly and there arent any issues on it.

Since you don't know what went wrong, I don't think I'd rely on pg_rewind
to fix it. Also, while I haven't use pg_rewind, I think it requires the
destination to be shut down while it runs. So pg_resetxlog would not be
needed, and likely even harmful.

> Right now, I'm not interested in taking a basebackup and creating the
> secondary from scratch..

Why not? Too much disk activity? Too much network traffic? If the
latter, you could do a low level backup, using rsync in checksum mode as
the file transfer method.

Cheers,

Jeff