Re: Postgres for SQL Server users

From: Adam Brusselback <adambrusselback(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ravi Krishna <ravi_krishna(at)aol(dot)com>
Cc: ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres for SQL Server users
Date: 2019-05-06 21:48:33
Lists: pgsql-general

I think the main "gotcha" when I moved from SQL Server to Postgres was I
didn't even realize the amount of in-line t-sql I would use to just get
stuff done for ad-hoc analysis. Postgres doesn't have a good way to emulate
this. DO blocks cannot return resultsets, so short of creating a function
and dropping it, it's not possible to get the same workflow.
The lack of GUI tooling was also a huge "whoa" moment for me, which I still
grapple with.