Re: Query much slower after upgrade to 9.6.1

From: Adam Brusselback <adambrusselback(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query much slower after upgrade to 9.6.1
Date: 2016-11-07 19:26:49
Lists: pgsql-performance

> If the problem is "new server won't use hashagg", I'd wonder whether
> the work_mem setting is the same, or whether maybe you need to bump
> it up some (the planner's estimate of how big the hashtable would be
> might have changed a bit).

I actually was speaking with Stephen Frost in the slack channel, and tested
both of those theories.

The work_mem was the same between the two servers (12MB), but he suggested
I play around with it. I tried 4MB, 20MB, and 128MB. There was no
difference from 12MB with any of them.

I have my default_statistics_target set to 300, and ran a VACUUM ANALYZE
right after the upgrade to 9.6.1. He suggested I lower it, so I put it
back down to 100, ran a VACUUM ANALYZE, and observed no change in query. I
also tried going the other way and set it to 1000, VACUUM ANALYZE, and
again, no difference to query.