Re: Foreign key against a partitioned table

From: Adam Brusselback <adambrusselback(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Foreign key against a partitioned table
Date: 2016-08-23 21:13:44
Lists: pgsql-general

I have wondered if there were any plans to enhance fkey support for
partitioned tables now that more work is being done on partitioning (I know
there has been a large thread on declarative partitioning on hackers,
though I haven't followed it too closely).

Foreign keys are all done through triggers on the backend anyways, it does
seem totally possible to have it work for partitioned tables if the code is
aware that a table is partitioned and it needs to look in all inherited
tables as well as the one specified.