Re: UUID or auto-increment

From: Adam Brusselback <adambrusselback(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Israel Brewster <ijbrewster(at)alaska(dot)edu>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UUID or auto-increment
Date: 2020-08-10 17:38:02
Lists: pgsql-general

> I would point out, however, that using a V1 UUID rather than a V4 can
help with this as it is sequential, not random (based on MAC address and
timestamp + random)

I wanted to make this point, using sequential UUIDs helped me reduce write
amplification quite a bit with my application, I didn't use V1, instead I
used: https://pgxn.org/dist/sequential_uuids/

Reduces the pain caused by UUIDs a ton IMO.
-Adam