Re: Improving worst-case merge join performance with often-null foreign key

From: Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Steinar Kaldager <steinar(dot)kaldager(at)oda(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Improving worst-case merge join performance with often-null foreign key
Date: 2023-04-23 09:29:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Apr 22, 2023 at 11:21 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Steinar Kaldager <steinar(dot)kaldager(at)oda(dot)com> writes:
> > First-time potential contributor here. We recently had an incident due
> > to a sudden 1000x slowdown of a Postgres query (from ~10ms to ~10s)
> > due to a join with a foreign key that was often null. We found that it
> > was caused by a merge join with an index scan on one join path --
> > whenever the non-null data happened to be such that the merge join
> > couldn't be terminated early, the index would proceed to scan all of
> > the null rows and filter each one out individually. Since this was an
> > inner join, this was pointless; the nulls would never have matched the
> > join clause anyway.
>
> Hmm. I don't entirely understand why the existing stop-at-nulls logic
> in nodeMergejoin.c didn't fix this for you. Maybe somebody has broken
> that? See the commentary for MJEvalOuterValues/MJEvalInnerValues.

I think it's just because the MergeJoin didn't see a NULL foo_id value
from test_bar tuples because all such tuples are removed by the filter
'test_bar.active', thus it does not have a chance to stop at nulls.

# select count(*) from test_bar where foo_id is null and active;
count
-------
0
(1 row)

Instead, the index scan on test_bar will have to scan all the tuples
with NULL foo_id because none of them satisfies the qual clause.

Thanks
Richard