Re: BUG #16889: Suboptimal behavior related to join condition

From: Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: liuxy(at)gatech(dot)edu, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16889: Suboptimal behavior related to join condition
Date: 2021-02-26 06:36:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 4:15 PM PG Bug reporting form <
noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> Expected Behavior
> Since these two queries are semantically equivalent, we were hoping that
> PostgreSQL will evaluate them in roughly the same amount of time. It looks
> to me that when evaluating the first (slower) query, the query optimizer
> does not propagate the information about "ps_suppkey" = 752 to the INNER
> JOIN condition.

Currently we only generate derived clauses based on equivalence classes.
So in the first query, we have 'ps_suppkey = 752' and 'p_partkey - 177 <
ps_suppkey', and we cannot deduce the clause 'p_partkey - 177 < 752'. We
do not have deduction rules to accomplish that for now.

Thanks
Richard