Re: Deadlock between concurrent index builds on different tables

From: Jeremy Finzel <finzelj(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Deadlock between concurrent index builds on different tables
Date: 2017-12-26 17:00:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
wrote:

> > Does that mean I should never build more than one concurrent index at
> > a time within the entire cluster? If so, that is not clear from the
> > documentation.
>
> No, there is no such expectation. Jeff analyzed your scenario,
> discovered a bug and sent a patch to fix it -- care to test it and
> report back? You can get it from here:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAMkU=1ztk3TpQdcUNbxq93pc80FrXUjpDWL
> GMeVBDx71GHNwZQ(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com
>
> --
> Álvaro Herrera https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

I would be thrilled to review it, but I need a little direction as I have
not done a patch review before. I have been reading through some of the
developer FAQ and patch info. The attached file is simply a git diff, so
I'm not sure how I am to use this? Is there a specific source version I
can download and compile? I know where to get the current master, etc.,
from git, but where can I get the patched version or what is the proper way
to apply the patch to current master?

Thanks!
Jeremy