Re: No such file or directory in pg_replslot

From: Jeremy Finzel <finzelj(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: No such file or directory in pg_replslot
Date: 2018-12-08 19:21:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> That doesn't indicate an error. You need to provide more details what
> made you consider things wedged...
>
> Andres

Thank you very much for the reply. We typically see no visible replication
delay over 5 minutes ever. Today we saw a delay of over 3 hours, and no
obvious increase in workload either on the provider or the subscriber. I
also did not see the LSN advancing whatsoever in terms of applying changes.

I first checked for long-running transactions on the master but there was
nothing too unusual except an ANALYZE which I promptly killed, but with no
improvement to the situation.

I found the messages above using strace after canceling the subscription
and finding that the process was taking extremely long to cancel. There
are 2.1 million files in pg_replslot which I don't think is normal? Any
ideas as to where I should be looking or what could cause this?

Thanks,
Jeremy