Re: Alter table set logged hanging after writing out all WAL

From: Jeremy Finzel <finzelj(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Alter table set logged hanging after writing out all WAL
Date: 2018-02-07 03:48:52
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 6:02 PM Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 01:36:04AM -0600, Jeremy Finzel wrote:
> > Here is the basic structure - is the gist index significant?:
> >
> > CREATE UNLOGGED TABLE foo (
> > as_of_date daterange NOT NULL,
> > customer_id integer,
> > bunch_of_fields_here);
> >
> > ALTER TABLE ONLY foo
> > ADD CONSTRAINT foo_as_of_date_excl EXCLUDE USING gist (customer_id
> WITH
> > =, as_of_date WITH &&);
> >
> > CREATE UNIQUE INDEX foo_idx1 ON foo USING btree (customer_id) WHERE
> > (upper(as_of_date) = 'infinity'::date);
> >
> > CREATE INDEX foo_idx2 ON foo USING btree (customer_id, lower(as_of_date))
> > WHERE (upper(as_of_date) = 'infinity'::date);
> >
> > CREATE UNIQUE INDEX foo_idx3 ON foo USING btree (customer_id,
> > lower(as_of_date));
>
> I am not sure, but I would think about something related to gist here
> when heavy insertions are done on it... I cannot put my finger on the
> thread though.
>
> > This is all I see - please help me if there's a better command I can
> > run:
>
> If the process is still running, can you attach gdb to it and then run
> the command bt? You may need to install debugging symbols to make the
> trace readable.
> --
> Michael

I am trying a few other scenarios to see if I can reproduce. I was able to
set to logged a copy of the table with no indexes. I am now attempting same
with only the gist index. If I can reproduce it on a non production server
I will try gdb.

Thank you much for the follow up.

Jeremy