Re: PostgreSQL logical replication depends on WAL segments?

From: Jeremy Finzel <finzelj(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: Josef Machytka <josef(dot)machytka(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL logical replication depends on WAL segments?
Date: 2019-01-22 17:57:00
Lists: pgsql-general

> That is news to me. Can you provide a citation for this?

I can see the confusion in what I said. To clarify, I really meant that in
order to retrieve that data that you need in really old WAL segments, you
need to keep your replication slot in a position that will hold that WAL in
place. And that is what will prevent old rows from being vacuumed away.
There is no way to create a replication slot in the past, so the only way
to actually use the old WAL for logical replication is to have an old slot
in place with an LSN position from that long time ago.

The bit about rows not being removed is found here:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/warm-standby.html#STREAMING-REPLICATION-SLOTS

Thanks,
Jeremy