Background worker/idle sessions and caching

From: Jeremy Finzel <finzelj(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Background worker/idle sessions and caching
Date: 2018-07-18 18:37:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have a background worker running SQL functions, and I believe I have
noticed that when I do things like change function definitions, or even add
tables, the background worker does not pick up the schema changes until I
restart the worker.

Is this expected behavior? If I use background workers in this way, can I
send a signal to it to reload things like function defs, or do I need to
restart the workers?

Thanks!
Jeremy